Coq Au Vin
photo by BLUE ROSE
- Ready In:
- 6 boneless chicken breasts
- 750 ml red wine (reisling or merlot)
- 3 medium onions, cut in wedges
- 4 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups baby portabella mushrooms
- 4 minced fresh garlic cloves
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (8 ounce) can diced tomatoes, partially drained
- salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 2 teaspoons tarragon
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon lemon balm
- 2 teaspoons basil
- In a glass bowl combine chicken, wine, onions, carrots, peppercorns, garlic, 1 tsp salt.
- cover and refrigerate 1 day, or for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain chicken and vegetables, reserving all juices.
- Heat sauce pan with olive oil and butter.
- Dredge chicken in flour, then cook in pan until all sides are golden brown but not fully cooked.
- Place golden chicken in roasting pan along with reserved vegetables.
- Deglaze pan with reserved juices from marinade.
- Add degalze and remaining juices to roasting pan along with chicken stock, diced tomatoes and herbs.
- Bake in oven for 3 to 4 hours.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
The prep is definitely worth the effort. I marinated the chicken and veg for 4 hours. Couldn't get portabellas so used some very large button mushrooms which worked well. I baked this for 3 hours covered and then uncovered it for the last hour. The chicken was a tad on the dry side so next time, I will leave it covered the whole time or do it in the slow cooker as Blue Rose did. Our guests loved this meal and my husband said it tasted even better when he finished off the leftovers the next night. Thank you Village Chef for this lovely chicken dinner. Made for PAC Spring 2010.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi, I am a mother of a an amazing 4 year old boy and wife of a great man. I have changed this year from owning a restaurant to cooking privately and being a grounds keeper. It has been great to go from being stuck in a building all day to spending all day outside. I hope you enjoy some recipes i have entered. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg">