Copycat Sprinkles Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe
photo by Muffin Goddess
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk (or milk with 2 teaspoons lemon juice)
- 1 ounce red food coloring (optional)
- 4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in sour cream, buttermilk, food color and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until just blended. Do not overbeat.
- Spoon batter into 24 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean.
- Gently remove from oven (these are super-moist, and will collapse if you aren’t careful). Cool in pans on wire rack at least 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.
- I use the Vanilla Buttercream Frosting (From Sprinkles Cupcakes) recipe (recipe #222188) with these cupcakes and my family loves them.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Yum, yum, yum, so good! I got 36 regular-size cupcakes out of this using a #20 scoop (could've gotten 37, but I divvied up the last scoop of batter so I didn't have a tin with only one cupcake in it). The tops of these stayed pretty level and didn't peak, but I expected that with how much liquid is in the batter. No fallen craters, just level tops. Now, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool, hardcore frosting lover, so it's a major thing for me to say that I could happily eat these cupcakes naked (the cupcakes, NOT me, lol!). Not that that stopped me from gilding the lily with the suggested Recipe#222188, which is fabulous in it's own right. Now as much as I want to eat way more than my fair share of these, I also have an overwhelming urge to go around the neighborhood passing these out and sharing the bliss. If you hadn't already guessed by now, I love these cupcakes, lol. Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Fall '12