Copycat Chipotle Grilled Steak Soft Tacos
photo by EmKenBken
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 (7 1/16 ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chuck steaks, cut 2-inches thick, about 3 steaks
- 12 (6 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, shredded
- 2 cups salsa
- To the bowl of a food processor or blender add 1/2 cup water, onion, garlic, 2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from can of chili’s), 1 chipotle chili, also from can, chile powder, 1 tablespoon oil, 1 teaspoon salt, cumin, vinegar, oregano, and black pepper.
- Blend until completely smooth, add 1/2 cup water stirring to combine.
- Place steak in a large non-reactive container, with enough room for the adobo sauce.
- Pour sauce over steak, turning chicken to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for 10 to 12 hours (overnight) for the most intense flavor; steak can be marinated for up to 2 days. Remove steak from marinade, pat dry with paper towels, and place in a medium bowl. Season with remaining teaspoon salt.
- In a large skillet over medium heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add steak to the skillet and cook until underside is deep brown, about 4 minutes; turn and cook until the golden brown on the other side, another 4-5 minutes. Cook until the internal temperature of the steak reaches 135F (for rare) on a instant- read thermometer or 145F for medium rare.
- Remove to a cutting board and tent with foil for 10 minutes. Slice into small pieces.
- Dividing evenly, mound tortillas with Copycat Chipotle Grilled Steak, Monterey jack cheese, shredded lettuce, Copycat Chipotle Fresh Tomato Salsa or desired toppings.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!