Cool Nights Chili With Chicken, Corn, and Chipotles
- Ready In:
- 1hr 55mins
- 5 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 5 1/2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt (more if needed, to taste)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can italian-style plum tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 3 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, coarsely chopped
- 3 1⁄2 - 4 cups fresh corn kernels (or frozen corn kernels, thawed)
- 2 (19 ounce) cans dark kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 large lime, cut into 6 wedges
- Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a large, deep-sided pot (with a lid) set over med-high heat.
- When hot, add the chicken and saute until light golden, for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Add remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil to the pan; when the oil is very hot, add onions and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, for 3-4 minutes.
- Return sauteed chicken to the pan.
- Stir together the flour, chili powder, cumin, and 1 teaspoon salt in a small bowl; sprinkle the mixture over the onions and chicken, and cook, stirring 1 minute.
- Add in stock, tomatoes, and chipotles; bring mixture to a simmer.
- Decrease heat, cover, and cook until chicken is fork-tender and mixture has thickened slightly, for 25-30 minutes.
- Add in corn and beans; cook for 10 minutes.
- Taste chili and season with salt, if needed.
- **Chili can be prepared 2 days ahead; cool, cover, and refrigerate; reheat uncovered, over medium heat).
- To serve--ladle chili into bowls; garnish each serving with a generous dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of chopped cilantro.
- Serve each bowl with a lime wedge to squeeze over the chili before eating.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!