Cooking Light Veg Chili
photo by Dreamer in Ontario
- Ready In:
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped (about 1)
- 1 1⁄2 cups green bell peppers, chopped (about 1)
- 1 1⁄2 cups red bell peppers, chopped (about 1)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup beer (I have used several varieties with tasty results, even O'Douls!)
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo (or sub 2 T green chiles)
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (garbanzo beans)
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell peppers to pan; sauté 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add chili powder and garlic to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add broth and beer, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Add chipotle, beans, and tomatoes to pan; simmer 40 minutes or until thick. Stir in salt.
- Sprinkle each serving with cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Wow, I'm so impressed! This veggie chili is so delicious. I have never used chickpeas in a chili and wasn't sure if I'd like them in there. They are a great addition! I especially LOVE the hint of heat from the chipotles in adobo. I also really loved the addition of beer (which I was wary about, too). It just gave the chili a deeper dimension...another flavor layer. I skipped the cheese, which made this a great vegan chili. Thank you so much for posting. This will be a fave.
This was delicious! Besides the red and green pepper, I added 1 cubanelle pepper because I had it on hand. In place of the chipotle chile, I used 1 tbsp of spicy chiptle salsa and some extra dried chipotle powder. For the beer, I used Dos Equis (yum). I also added about 1 tsp of cumin, just becasue I like it. I let the chili simmer for a good 2 hours, and to thicken it up a bit, I added a couple tsp of cornmeal.
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Knoxville, TN with DH, my beautiful son, and the most spoiled cat on the planet! I grew up in Cincinnati and landed in TN by way of Bloomington, IN and Santa Fe, NM. Needless to say, it's been a long, strange trip!! To explain the name: I was veg for 11 years, vegan for 1. In the last year or so I started eating poultry and fish again, but my brother-in-law's nickname for me (smelly vegetarian) has always stuck. Also...thanks a million to my Zaar fairy godperson :)!!! <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Holiday-plaid_HPI.gif"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/cc-banner-7-09.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PACfall08partic.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/590105/hcabc.jpg> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/kiwidutch/My-3-Chefs%20banners/my3chefs2008Small.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">