Confetti Split Pea and Smoked Sausage Soup
- Ready In:
- 10hrs 30mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, with leaves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried split peas
- 1⁄2 cup dried yellow split peas
- 1⁄4 cup dried red lentils
- 8 cups chicken broth or 8 cups vegetable broth
- fresh ground black pepper
- Cook the sausage in a large skillet over high heat.
- Render the fat and remove all but 2 tablespoons from the skillet.
- Add in the onion, carrots, celery, and thyme; saute until the vegetables are softened, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the contents of the skillet to the insert of a 5- to 7-quart slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours or on LOW for 8-10 hours, until the peas have split and the soup is thick.
- Check the soup several times during cooking to make sure there is enough broth and the soup is not sticking to the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
Join The Conversation