- Ready In:
- 2 lbs pork, diced into 1/2 inch cube
- 2 cups red onions, diced
- 2 cups red bell peppers, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced seeds removed
- 4 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Hormel chili without beans
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 8 teaspoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons dried chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine the canned chili, tomatoes, and beef stock in a medium pot over low heat.
- Combine all the spices together, and add 3/4 of the mixture to the pot. Stir to incorporate.
- Saute the pork with the remaining spice mixture and 2 tablespoons of minced garlic on high heat until just browned, not cooked through. Drain any excess fat and add the pork to the pot. Leave enough grease in the pan to saute the remaining vegetables.
- In the same pan sautee the onion and the red pepper over medium high heat. Once the onions start to turn translucent, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of minced garlic. Saute until the garlic becomes fragrant, then add the vegetables to the pot
- Simmer the chili over low heat for 2 to 3 hours, stirring periodically so the bottom does not burn
- ***TIP*** In order to dice the pork so small, first freeze the larger pieces for a few hours until they are solid, but not so hard that they cannot be cut with your knife.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!