Company's Coming Slaw
Entered for safekeeping. A special slaw great as a side to hamburgers or crab cakes. I added alternate measurements per USDA nutritional data web site. Times are estimates without the food processor from "the slowest chopper in the Western Hemisphere." A food processor would be ideal for preparation. From Sunset Magazine, July 2001.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce (tomato-based for seafood cocktails)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, coarse grain
- 1 small head of cabbage, finely shredded (about 10 cups)
- 3 large carrots, finely shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 small sweet red pepper, 1/4-inch dice (about 3/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, including tops, thinly sliced
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, mix yogurt, mayonnaise, pickle relish, chili sauce, and mustard.
- Add cabbage, carrots, bell pepper, and green onions; mix well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I made the whole batch for just two of us, and we'll enjoy the leftovers! I didn't have any chili sauce, so I added a shredded jalapeño instead. We never have pickle relish around, but hubby accidentally bought a sweet Bavarian mustard. I added some of that after cutting back slightly on the Dijon, but I think chopped apples, pineapple, or whole raisins might be good as a sweet relish substitute. I do like using yogurt instead of mayo! I didn't bother squeezing juice out of the shredded carrots (as one reviewer suggested) but I didn't think it was too wet. Maybe I had more shredded veggies than called for, but this made a coleslaw that's not too sloppy with dressing.Reply
Followed your recipe right on down, the full batch for just the 2 of us, but we do know how great a slaw can be on day 2 & 3, & it definitely is! As is, it's wonderful, but we also enjoyed it heaped on top of a burger! Very, very tasty! Thanks so much for sharing it! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]Reply