Comfort, Tx. Creamed Cabbage
photo by Parsley
- Ready In:
- Cut cabbage in 1/4 in thickness.
- Put in saucepan. Slice and add onion.
- Sprinkle in salt and a little sugar.
- Add enough water to cover and bring to a boil; turn off heat and let stand on a burner (cabbage will continue to cook in the hot liquid).
- Melt the butter in a separate pan and combine with the flour and a small amount of cabbage liquid.
- Spoon the cabbage into the mixture; add a sprinkle of white pepper along with a little more sugar and salt.
- Stir in evaporated milk and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Simple and delicious. I let the cabbage and onion sit in the boiling water just long enough to be cooked but still have some crunch. My evaporated milk was fat free, but I still got a nice, thick cream sauce. In addition to the white pepper, I sprinkled black pepper on top, just for some color contrast. Thanx for posting this lovely cabbage recipe; I'll use it again.