Comfort Diner Macaroni and Cheese
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From Ira Freehof of Comfort Diners in New York City.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 8mins
- 4 tablespoons butter, plus
- 1 teaspoon butter (and extra for the baking dish)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 4 slices American cheese
- 1 cup lightly packed grated italian Fontina cheese
- kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees; butter a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil (over high heat); add macaroni and cook 8-10 minutes or until al dente; drain and rinse with cool water.
- Place drained macaroni in a large mixing bowl; drizzle with the oil.
- In a small saucepan over med-high heat, warm the milk.
- In a large saucepan over med-low heat, melt 4 tablespoons butter; sprinkle in the flour and whisk constantly until the flour is absorbed and the mixture is bubbling gently and is lightly golden (2-3 minutes).
- Gradually add in the warm milk, whisking constantly.
- Increase the heat to medium and bring to a simmer, stirring with a wooden spoon until smooth and slightly thickened.
- Add in the cheddar, American cheese and fontina; remove pan from the heat.
- Whisk the mixture until the cheese is almost completely melted, stir in the salt, pepper, and mustard.
- Pour the sauce over the macaroni; stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the 1/4 Celsius shredded cheddar and the breadcrumbs; sprinkle evenly over the macaroni.
- Cut the remaining teaspoon of butter into small bits and dot the casserole.
- Bake on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes or until bubbling and a crust begins to form.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION