Collard Greens and Cabbage
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 30mins
- Add the bacon fat to a large stock pot.
- If you don't save your bacon fat, fry up a few slices of bacon in the pot you are going to cook your greens in; leave the bacon and fat.
- Add your ham hocks to the pot, cover with water, onion and spices.
- Boil for about an hour.
- Add cleaned and cut collards to the pot, cover and cook until tender (45 minutes to an hour, less if you like them less cooked).
- Add the cabbage at the very end and cook until wilted or to your desired taste.
- Remove bones and fat of the ham hocks.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My love for Collard Greens and Cabbage made me want to try this. My goodness I am so blessed I did. The Cabbage did mellow the Collards. I did however miss judge my water and got the cabbage a bit more cooked than I wanted..but that is my fault. I will for sure be making this for my family come Sept. Thank You very much for a wonder recipe. Hugs
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to cook, but don't have a lot of time to do it, since I work full time. I like to try a new recipe every Saturday, if time allows. <br> <br>I have one grown son and three grandaughters ages 16,10 and 3. The ten year old has won many medals in gymnastics meets over the past few years.