Cold Poached Trout
From "The Night Before" Cookbook. They specify 'small' trout, but I think one uses the trout one HAS.
- Ready In:
- 6 trout, fresh (cleaned, with heads removed)
- 3 lemons
- 1 teaspoon white pepper, freshly ground
- 6 teaspoons rosemary
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup fish stock or 1 cup clam juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- Wash trout in cold water. Blot dry. Slash outside flesh diagonally, 2 or 3 cuts to each fish.
- Cut lemons in half. Using 1/2 lemon for each trout, gently rub with cut side of lemon, squeezing as you rub. Season inside and out with salt & pepper. Sprinkle 1 tsp rosemary leaves in the cavity of each fish.
- Bring wine, stock, butter, and onion to simmer in shallow skillet or roasting pan. Add fish and simmer 12-15 minutes. Cover and refrigerate, in pan, 1 hour.
- Remove fish carefully from liquid. Lift off skin. Store on bed of paper towels on platter covered with foil or plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate liquid separately.
- Just before serving, arrange trout on beds of lettuce on individual serving plates.
- Pour over each fish 1 teaspoon of poaching liquid. Serve with mustard mayonnaise.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION