This filling dish can be made ahead of time and refrigerated. Originally seen in the Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb cabbage
- 4 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 8 ounces leeks, white parts only
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- Core and dice cabbage and put in 3 quart saucepan. Cover with water and bring to boil. Cook until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Put potatoes in 4 quart saucepan. Cover with water and bring to boil. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Thinly slice leeks. Put in 2 quart saucepan, add evaporated milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Boil until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and mash. Stir in leek mixture. Fold in drained cabbage.
- Put in 3 quart greased baking dish, dot with bits of the margarine. Can be stored at refridgerator at this point if preparing ahead of time.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees or until golden on top. Serve hot.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION