Coke-Brined Grilled Chicken!
photo by Claudia V.
- Ready In:
- Combine the salt and Coke. Stir well to dissolve.
- Puncture your chicken several times with the tines of a fork.
- Place it in the brine. Make sure all pieces are submerged. (I use a large round bowl); Cover.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Prepare your rub. Be sure to combine well. (for the Mustard Powder I like to use "Colemanns").
- When you are ready to grill the chicken. Prepare your grill so the chicken will be cooked over indirect heat.
- Remove the chicken from the brine, and dry it well. (throw out the brine).
- Rub your chicken pieces on both sides with the rub. Use it all!
- Now let it sit for 15 min., so it can absorb the rub flavors.
- Place it on the grill, skin side down for approximately 15-20 minutes. The skin should be nice and crispy brown.
- Turn the pieces over and continue to cook for another 15-20 minutes.
- You might like to serve it with your favorite BBQ Sauce on the side.
- This also works well with chicken legs, but the cooking time will vary. The dark meat should test at 180°F in the thigh.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Substituted smoked paprika, reduced the garlic and salt, and played around with other salt based spice mixes. The marinade is very similar to a mix that a former employer of mine used to use to cook chicken wings in (not marinaded, cooked in). I never really played with their recipe, but this recipe makes a great base for experimentation.
Delicious! I was lazy though. I brined for about 5 hour.... and added some liquid smoke to the brine. By dinner time I was tired and just put the chicken in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. I used 10 chicken thighs and sealed them in a Zip-style bag. There was plenty of marinade to cover them. I omitted the oil in the rub. They smelled so good baking in the oven! The chicken was very tender and tasty.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg alt= /><img src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/cc-banner-7-09.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg alt= /></p>