Coconut-Lime Turkey or Chicken and Rice Soup
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
I found this recipe from KalynsKitchen.com, and I was not disappointed. I could eat this every meal of the day. I used regular coconut milk and skipped the sugar (personal preference). Excellent flavors.
- Ready In:
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 5 -6 slices fresh gingerroot
- 2 medium garlic cloves, sliced in half
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar or 1 1/2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 14 1⁄2 ounces light coconut milk
- 2 cups diced turkey or 2 cups chicken
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco jalapeno sauce or 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- Slice 5 to 6 thin slices of ginger root. Peel 2 medium garlic cloves and slice in half.
- Put chicken stock into a heavy soup pot and start to simmer, then add ginger root slices, garlic cloves, lime juice, soy sauce, and brown sugar or splenda. Let simmer on low for 20 minutes or until flavors are well blended.
- While the soup base simmers, shred apart the leftover turkey or chicken into bit-sized pieces until you have 2 cups. After 20 minutes remove the garlic and ginger pieces and add diced chicken, light coconut milk, and green tabasco sauce or other hot sauce to the soup and let it continue to simmer on low about 6 minutes more. Be sure the heat is low enough the soup won't boil after the coconut milk has been added.
- After 6 minutes add the cooked brown rice and let it simmer for a couple minutes while you wash and chop the cilantro. Add cilantro and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes more. Serve hot with sliced limes to squeeze into the soup if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION