Coconut Cream Mushroom Soup in Da' Crock Pot
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 40mins
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh mushrooms, trimmed and sliced (mixed -your choice of varieties)
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves or 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black peppercorns (cracked)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups vegetable broth or 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup coconut milk (homemade -see my recipe)
- 4 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- In a heatproof bowl, soak 1/2 of the mushrooms in boiling water for 30 minutes.
- Drain through a fine sieve, reserving liquid.
- Pat mushrooms dry with paper towel and chop finely and SET ASIDE for step #8.
- In a skillet heat 1 tbsp Virgin Coconut Oil over medium heat.
- Add fresh mushrooms, cook (stirring until they lose their liquid)and transfer to crock pot.
- In same pan, melt remaining 3 tablespoons Virgin Coconut Oil.
- Add onions and cook, stirring until softened.
- Add reserved mushrooms, garlic, thyme, salt and peppercorns and cook, stirring, for 1 minute and transfer to slow crock pot.
- Add bay leaf, broth, coconut milk and reserved mushroom soaking liquid and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours.
- Discard bay leaf.
Join The Conversation
I don't often write reviews but this soup is outstanding. I was looking for a recipe for a friend who is in chemo and radiation treatment who can not have dairy products. I made this up last night in a crock pot and left it cooking on low and this morning had some for breakfast. Yum. I actually roasted the second portion of mushrooms so that they would hold their body--these were just the usual cheaper white mushrooms. I also added some very very fine chopped sirloin steak because my friend is having a hard time getting enough calories and nutrition due to sores in her mouth. Could not use spices like she usually loves... It is good just plain. Add a squeeze of lime juice and it is fabulous--she can't use the citrus but I can on my portions.
I served this lovely & flavorful soup along side a pasta salad for a light & satisfying dinner meal. The advance prep & crockpot cook method make it ideal for a dinner party starter to serve w/crusty garlic bread. The use of coconut milk in a soup was new for me & I esp liked learning how well it works. The prep was a bit fuzzy in a cpl of spots, but the outcome was great & loved by both of us! This was a PAC choice & a happy 1 indeed! Pls see my rating system. This is a very worthy 4 stars & will be repeated for a dinner party soon. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us Mommie. HITYL?