Coconut Chicken Curry With Yogurt
A delightful curry dish, with a surprisingly sweet taste. Adapted from "Extending the Table" cookbook.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger (or 1 inch grated gingerroot)
- 6 whole cloves
- 6 whole cardamom pods or 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 cinnamon sticks or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 lbs skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup nonfat yogurt
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons raisins (optional)
- In a heavy pan, sauté butter, onions and garlic until soft and lightly brown.
- Add spices, and fry 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken, and brown on all sides.
- Mix yogurt turmeric, and coconut milk together and add to chicken. Cover with a tight fitting lid and simmer 35-45 minutes until chicken is tender. Remove cinnamon sticks and cardamom pods. Serve hot with rice.
- Optional: substitute 2 1/2 tsp curry powder for coriander, cumin and cayenne pepper.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
VERY tasty curry indeed, TRUE! Used vanilla low fat yogurt too! GREAT for entertaining, worked for me! As I LOVE it HOT, I added diced chilli! Only thing had a bit of trouble, but am sure is me, The cardamon pods...once cooked, I could not see! So if you have a helpful hint on how to find my six, Will take a photo of this lovely mix! THANKS!Reply
see 4 more