Coconut Cherry Scones
- Ready In:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup half & half light cream
- 1⁄3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar or 1 tablespoon decorator sugar
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine egg, half-n-half, coconut, cherries and lemon peel in a small bowl.
- Add to flour mixture.
- Stir just until flour mixture is moistened.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead lightly 8-10 minutes.
- Pat dough into 7-inch circle.
- Place onto greased baking sheet.
- Cut into 8 wedges (do not separate).
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- Cut wedges apart; remove from baking sheet.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
OUTSTANDING SCONES, THESE! Made the recipe as shown, but with 2 slight changes ~ I added another 1/4 cup of the cherries & also used a generously rounded teaspoon of the lemon zest! Oh, yes, & I did add just a hair more sugar to counter-balance the tartness of the cherries & lemon peel! These were a definite hit with both of us here, & the recipe is a certain keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]