Coconut Cardamom Sweet Potatoes
My husband likes this, and he normally does not like sweet potatoes, specifically the sweet Thanksgiving ones. This really does not have to be baked. It did taste much better after chilling and then reheating than it did initially. Recommend allowing time to meld the flavors.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 5 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces (3.5 - 4 lbs)
- 3⁄4 cup light coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons cardamom, ground
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract (could add another 1/2 tsp perhaps)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pecans
- Bring large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add sweet potatoes. Return to boiling. Cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Drain and put in a large bowl.
- Add coconut milk, cardamom, vanilla, coconut extract, honey, brown sugar, salt, black pepper and cayenne; in other words, everything except the peanuts. Mix until smooth.
- Put in a 9x9 dish. Sprinkle pecans over it.
- Bake at 325 for 45 - 50 minutes or until edges are slightly browned. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes and serve.