Coconut and Bean Soup
A vegetarian meal in a bowl. Very easy to make.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 green onions, whites and greens separated and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, deseeded and pounded to a paste
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 (14 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 2 limes, juice of
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Saute the green onion whites, red pepper, chilli paste and garlic for 5-8 minutes until soft and fragrant. Add the thyme, curry powder and allspice, then cook for 1 minute more,
- Stir in the tomatoes, then cook for 2 minutes to soften slightly.
- Crumble in the stock cube, then add in all the beans and the coconut milk. Simmer for 10 minutes Turn off the heat and stir in most of the green onion greens, the lime juice and salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with remaining green onion just before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Outstanding soup! This recipe really surprised me. I expected to like it, but I love it!! Absolutely delicious. Great flavors. I love the mixture of beans and the veggies. The coconut milk is so delicious when added to the soup. The only change I'll make next time is to omit the lime addition at the end. I tasted the soup before adding the lime and then after, and actually liked it without the lime better! I'll make this soup again, for sure. Thanks! Made for ZWT9 Caribbean for the Soup-A-Stars.Reply