Clove Cake--Mccall Cook Book Version
photo by The_Swedish_Chef
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins (plumped beforehand in a small amount of water, drained)
- 1 cup butter, soft (no substitutes)
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, beaten until light and lemon-coloured
- 1 cup buttermilk (room temperature)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 10-12 cup Bundt pan (I use Wilton's Cake Release and cakes slide out of their tin with ease!).
- Sift 2 3/4 cups cake flour with the cloves, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium-sized bowl. Set aside. Toss remaining 1/4 cup of flour with the raisins. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat at medium speed the butter until light creamy. Gradually add the sugar, 1/2 a cup at a time, until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Blend the beaten eggs into the sugar mixture at medium speed, scraping the sides down using a rubber spatula.
- At low speed, alternately blend into the sugar-egg mixture the dry ingredients (in thirds) and the the buttermilk (in halves), beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Beat ONLY until blended; stir in the floured raisins by hand.
- Pour the batter into the prepared Bundt pan; bake at 60-65 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan, on wire rack, for 10 minutes. Gently loosen, with a dull knife, the edges of the cake; turn out cake onto a rack. Cool completely, about an hour. This is a large, moist cake that keeps very well.
- Serve plain, with a dusting of powdered sugar, an orange-flavoured glaze or orange-flavoured cream cheese frosting.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Thank you for visiting my chef's page and considering making any of my recipes. With so many to choose from, I'm honoured that you'd take the time to try mine. Thank you in advance!</p>