Classic Creamy Greek Rice Pudding
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup raw fancy long grain rice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated tangerine peel (or orange or lemon rind)
- ground cinnamon
- In a large saucepan, combine milk and sugar, and bring to a boil. Add rice, then reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 1 hour, stirring gently every 10 to 15 minutes. When it thickens, stir every 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat egg, vanilla, and tangerine rind together. After rice pudding has cooked for 1 hour, add 1/2 cup of the hot mixture to the egg mixture. Pour the egg mixture into the pot, turn off the heat and stir.
- Pour into serving dishes. Sprinkle with cinnamon and chill.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was pretty tasty, but not as creamy as I would have liked. Even after an hour, the rice was not fully cooked, and I had to cook it for at least another 20 minutes or so. I used fresh lemon zest, which gave it a wonderful flavor. It was not too sweet, and was definitely comfort food. Made for My 3 Chefs.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I recently celebrated my 19th anniversary living in SW Florida. I moved here from Massachusetts, just north of Boston. As much as I miss family back home, I truly love living here - the beaches, the tropical beauty, the people, and the weather (except the hurricanes!). Everyday is just another day in Paradise. I work at the new international airport here in Fort Myers. I have an opportunity to meet many different and interesting people from around the world. I've had an interest in cooking since I was a little boy, following my grandmother around the kitchen. Since I wasn't blessed with any artistic or musical talent, I think cooking was my way of being creative. My passion is my family and friends. My second passion is cooking for them. My favorite way to entertain is informally...brunches, cookouts, and small dinner parties. Just relaxing, enjoying each other's company, some good food and drink, and a little fun are the only rules of the house.</p>