- Ready In:
30-36 small clam cakes
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams, drained with 1/2 cup broth/juice reserved
- 1 large egg, at room temp
- 3⁄4 cup milk, at room temp
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Old Bay Seasoning (see recipe 15562)
- vegetable oil (for cooking)
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Mix well.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- In a deep pot heat 3 inch of oil to 375 degrees.
- Drop batter in by the teaspoonfull.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Drain and serve hot.
- Sprinkle with pepper and Old Bay Seasoning.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made these tonight w/Manhattan Clam Chowder for my family. I omitted the Cream of Tartar because I didn't have any, and the Old Bay Seasoning but they came out great! Golden brown and light texture. We live in Rhode Island and they came out better than most seafood restaurants we go to! Thanks DiB for a fantastic recipe.