Claim Jumper's Chocolate Motherlode Cake
This recipe comes from the Claim Jumper Restaurant in Colorado. We ate there several years ago and my daughter loved this cake. Definitely something for the serious chocolate lover.
- Ready In:
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 3⁄4 cups flour
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups boiling water
- 3 cups chocolate chips
- Add first seven ingredients into a mixing bowl, mixing well in between each ingredient.
- Sift flour, baking powder and soda, and salt and add to mixing bowl.
- Fold the boilingwater into the ingredients in the mixing bowl.
- Mix well.
- Grease and flour six 8" round baking pans.
- Pour batter equally into each of the pans.
- Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips into each pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Let cakes cool for 10 minutes on a rack, then remove from pans.
- When completely cool, ice with Chocolate Motherlode Frosting (recipe#109447).
- Coat with nuts if desired.
- Cake will keep for 3 days if covered and chill.
- Serve at room temperature.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This cake was a huge success, i made it for my mothers birthday,thank you Pale Rose for your insight regarding the measurements. I always read reviews before making cakes and just wanted to thank all those who posted their informative information too! The cake came out perfect, I followed the instructions exactly and had no problem with sinking middles or dry edges. I made 4 layers and doubled the frosting, which was the right amount! The cake was very moist and a chocolate lovers dream! I will make this cake again!Reply
I would give it 1/2 star if possible! Don't waste your time and energy and money on the ingredients! After spending the time to carefully follow the directions exactly this cake came out in crumbs when I cut it! There wasn't enough frosting to covernitmand it turnednhard as a rock even covered with a glass case! I was mortified as I made it for friends. I have NEVER had a cake turn out like this! Hedious. Don't waste your time and have the disappointment! DON'T MAKE THIS!!!!2Reply
see 5 more