From Cuisine at Home.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup orange, peeled and sliced into rounds (2 oranges)
- 1 cup fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup radish, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup oil-cured black olive, pitted and slivered
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shaved
Combine for Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, toasted and crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Gently Toss with
- 4 cups arugula, cleaned and torn into bite-sized pieces
- To peel oranges, cut off top and bottom, just to the pulp.
- Cut away peel and pith, following curve of the fruit.
- Cut orange into thin rounds.
- Thinly slice the fennel using a knife or a mandoline.
- Trim the stems and roots from radishes, and thinly slice.
- Set aside.
- Use an olive pitter to pit olives, or “crush” them with the side of a chef’s knife and remove the pit.
- Slice olives into very small slivers.
- Toast fennel seeds.
- Then, with mortar and pestle, crush seeds until fragrant.
- Whisk them into remaining vinaigrette ingredients.
- In a large bowl, toss the fennel, radishes, and vinaigrette with arugula.
- Use your hands— it’s gentler on the greens and coats them evenly.
- To assemble the salad, first lay down 3–4 orange rounds.
- Mound some salad mixture on top.
- Garnish with olives and shaved Parmesan.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation