Cinnamon Swirl Orange Bread
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water (105 degrees to 115 degrees)
- 1 cup milk, warm (110 to 115 degrees F)
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 6 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange peel, grated
- Dissolve yeast in water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine milk, orange juice, sugar, shortening, peel and salt.
- Add 2 cups flour, yeast mixture and egg; mix well.
- Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down and divide in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll each half into 15-in. x 7-in. rectangle.
- For filling, combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over rectangle. Sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon water.
- Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a short end. Seal edges.
- Place with sealed edge down in two greased 8-in. x 4-in. x 2-in. loaf pans.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and cool on wire racks.
- Combine glaze ingredients; spread over loaves.
Join The Conversation
Made this to include on my Thanksgiving table this year & it was a total success! And, although I'd intended to freeze one of the loaves, my son & DIL managed to get away with 2/3 of that second loaf, so . . . Absolutely great tasting, though I'll admit that I did use generous measures of the zest throughout the recipe! I'll certainly be making this again & again! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Zaar Stars tag]
WOW!!!! This bread is wonderful! I doubled the recipe and got 3 huge loaves and 2 mini loaves. I made it yesterday and we tried it last night with the orange glaze on it. It was great. This morning we had some toasted and put a little butter and orange marmalade on it. YUMMY!!! I am making some more for the freezer today and will probably add some craisins to it. I will also add more cinnamon and sugar since I did not put enough in on the first batch to get the nice swirls(they were very faint) and I want very distinct swirls(cool factor) LOL