Cinnamon Rolls With Caramel and Walnuts Topping
photo by nokocuisine
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 30mins
For the dough
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon dried yeast
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 milk
- 1⁄4 butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups cake flour
For the filling
- 3⁄4 brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
For the caramel topping
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup walnuts
- We start with the dough. Dissolve 1 ts of sugar in a ½ cup of lukewarm water. Add 1 tbs of dried yeast, mix and let it rest for 10 minutes at room temperature. After the 10 minutes it should rise and make bubbles.
- While the mix of sugar, yeast and water is resting, pour into a pot ¼ cup sugar, ½ cup milk, ¼ cup butter. Put it on a low-medium heat until the butter is melted. Add the vanilla extract and let it cool down.
- In a large bowl beat the 2 eggs with 1 ts of salt until they become foamy. Add the lukewarm mix of milk, sugar and butter. Continue mixing then add the yeast.
- Add 2 cups of flour and continue mixing at low speed until the flour is incorporated.
- Add the rest of the flour bit by bit, until the dough is not too sticky.
- Sprinkle some flour on your table and knead for about 10 minutes. Keep sprinkling flour if the dough is still sticky.
- Grease with butter a clean bowl, grease the dough with butter too and wrap in plastic film. Let it rest for at least one hour and a half in a warm place. If you prepare the dough a night before, put it in the fridge like I did.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C Grease a tray pan with butter and lining it with parchment paper.
- For the topping, caramelize the sugar in a pan. Careful not to burn it. When it takes a beautiful amber color add the boiling cream and stir well until all the caramelized sugar dissolves into the cream forming a nice caramel cream. Add the walnuts and spread the topping into the tray.
- For the filling just mix together all the ingredients.
- Using a rolling pin spread the dough into a 40 cm/30 cm sheet. Spread the filling over the dough equally and start rolling. Be sure to roll the dough pretty tight. With a sharp knife cut the rolls about 6 cm wide.
- Place the rolls into the baking tray over the caramel topping and be sure to let enough space between because they will rise more.
- Cover the tray with a damp cloth and let it rest for another 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Bake the rolls for about 30-35 minutes (depending on your oven). Be sure to check after 25 minutes. When catch a nice golden-brown color it's time to get them out of the oven.
- Let it rest for 2-3 minutes ( do not wait more because the caramel topping becomes hard and you won't be able to get your cinnamon rolls out). Place a large plate on top of the tray and flip it. The caramel topping it's on top now!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!