Cinnamon Caramel Ice Cream
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
1 1/2 quarts
- In a heavy saucepan combine half-and-half, lemon zest and cinnamon stick over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and let steep for 10 minutes. Strain into a large bowl, discarding solids. Set aside and let cool.
- Whisk egg yolks (or subsitute) and 1/2 cup sugar together in a large mixing bowl until thick and pale yellow.
- Whisk in half-and-half.
- Return mixture to saucepan and cook over medim low heat, stirring constantly with wooden spoon until thick (20-30 minutes). Remove from heat and strain into a large bowl and set aside. Cover and refrigerate until chilled (2-4 hours).
- While custard is chilling, grease a cookie sheet with butter and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine remaining sugar (1 cup) and 4 tablespoons water and bring to a simmer over medium low heat, swirling pot frequently until sugar carmalizes (20-30 minutes).
- Immediately pour syrup onto prepared sheet, tilting pan to spread around so syrup is a thin layer. Set aside and let cool.
- Crack carmamel into small pieces.
- Stir into cooled custard.
- Process in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This ice cream is really nice, with a subtle taste of the cinnamon. It's quite rich and decadent and I'm sure it would be perfect with apple pie. I tried and tried to get the sugar to carmelize in step #6 but finally gave up and made the ice cream without the carmamels. I will eventually make this again, when I have more time, and get that sugar to carmelize! Thanks Ellie, this is a really nice ice cream recipe that fits my machine just right.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I love cooking and trying different foods, but my favorite cookbooks are now Weight Watchers or low fat/low cal cookbooks as I tend to try and make low fat/low cal recipes. I lost over 90 pounds on Weight Watchers and have maintained for over a year now -- so my cooking/eating habits have changed drastically following my weight loss and to keep it off!</p>