- Ready In:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (5 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans beans (pinto or kidney)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 3 cups beef broth
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Put the ground beef and Italian sausage with about 1 T oil in a large sauce pan and brown over medium heat.
- Drain off excess fat, then add diced onion and minced garlic and cook for about five minutes, stirring often to prevent burning.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients except for the beans and bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer for one hour.
- Stir often to prevent sticking; add water or broth if the chili looks too dry.
- After one hour, add the beans and cook for 15 more minutes to heat through.
- Traditionally Cinci Chili is served over spaghetti or linguine with additional optional toppings including grated cheddar cheese, chopped sweet onion and sour cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!