Cilantro Lime Corn Meal Dumplings in Chorizo Chicken Soup
Recipe is from Martha White.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3⁄4 lb fresh chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded, stemmed and diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes or (14 1/2 ounce) can regular diced tomatoes
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) package Martha White yellow cornbread mix
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- sour cream, chopped avocado, chopped cilantro, lime wedges
- HEAT 1 tablespoon oil in cast iron 5-quart fryer, over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook 2 to 3 minutes, using back of spoon to break into pieces. Add chicken. Cook 2 minutes. Add onion, celery, carrots, poblano pepper and salt and cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic. Cook 1 minute. Add 2 tablespoons oil. Stir in flour. Cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes and chicken broth. Stir well, scraping bits off bottom of pan. Cover. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- STIR together cornbread mix, lime peel, milk, sour cream and 1/2 cup cilantro in medium bowl. Mixture will be thick. Set aside 10 minutes to ensure liquid is absorbed into cornmeal. Drop by tablespoonfuls into simmering soup. Cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until puffed and firm.
- TO SERVE, spoon a couple dumplings into each bowl and ladle soup around dumplings. Garnish with sour cream, cilantro, avocado and/or a squeeze of lime juice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Loved this and will definitely make it again! The dumplings were great :) I made the following changes: 1) didn’t include the flour/ extra oil step (my dumplings “shed” a bit while cooking so they thickened up the soup) 2) used soyrizo 3) used non-fat Greek yogurt instead of sour cream 4) added: half a head of cauliflower, 2 medium Mexican gray squash, and a chopped chipotle pepper, also added about 2 more cups of broth to account for the extra veggies. I also had to cook the soup for extra time- simmering with the lid on- because my dumplings didn’t not firm up in 10 minutes.Reply
see 11 more