Chunky Potato Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 3 medium red potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 small onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- crushed red pepper flakes
- ground black pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed cooked ham
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Bring water to a boil in large saucepan.
- Add potatoes and cook until tender.
- Drain, reserving liquid.
- Set aside potatoes.
- Measure 1 cup cooking liquid, adding water, if necessary. Set aside.
- Peel and finely chop onion.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion to saucepan; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent and tender, but not brown.
- Add flour to saucepan; season with pepper flakes and black pepper to taste.
- Cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- Gradually add potatoes, reserved 1 cup cooking liquid, milk and sugar to onion mixture in saucepan; stir well.
- Add cheese and ham.
- Simmer over low heat 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stor leftovers, covered, in refrigerator.
Join The Conversation
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in the Pacific Northwest US. I am a sophomore in high school, and I love to cook/bake. I have a fairly large family (4 brothers and 4 sisters) and we're all big eaters, so I enjoy the challenge of finding recipes to feed us all. In my free time (of which there is little), I am in 4-H with my dairy goats, and I'm the president of the club - I am also a teen leader, and I'm thinking about joining the state council. I am very active in politics and activism, and I am a member of the Washington State Young Democrats. I have played the piano for 6.5 years and the cello for 2 years. I am taking 2 classes at the local high school this year: Acting Techniques and Honors Humanities. I sing in my church choir, and I love music (I have been known to listen to love songs for hours). My passions are reading and writing. I am in a homeschool orchestra with my cello, and a homeschool chess club. I am classified as a nerd. :P I want to do running start my last two years of high school, and attend Duke or Stanford or some big college to get my PhD in counseling psychology. I'm a hopeless romantic. I love old and vintage things. I just recently became a vegetarian. I really would like to become vegan, but my financial resources are very limited right now and I can't afford it. Once I move out of my parents' house and have a job, I'll make the switch. I am really a very liberal Christian (I'm a theistic evolutionist, a feminist, I accept other religions, and I believe homosexuality is ok), and I'm very vocal about my opinions, which gets me in trouble a lot at the Baptist church I go to. I love debating. I hate any war, for whatever reason, and I am thrilled that Obama won. YAY!!! I'm taken by the most amazing guy ever. Even though we are totally different (I'm Protestant, he's Catholic; I'm a liberal Democrat, he's a conservative Republican; I'm very outgoing and loud; he's typically shy and quiet), I am totally, madly in love with him. Sorry, boys. ;) Anything else? Ask me. :D