Chunky Cajun Watermelon Relish
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
9 8 ounce jars
- 5 cups watermelon rind (diced, no peel or pink flesh)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 -2 fresh jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pickling salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard, seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mixed peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon pepper, flakes try chipotle flakes for a hint of smokiness
- Place rind, peppers, and onion in a large bowl toss in the salt and cover with ice cold water. Chill for 8-12 hours.
- Prepare jars and water bath for canning.
- Rinse very very well and drain set aside.
- Place the remaining ingredients in a large stainless steel pot. Bring to a boil to dissolve sugar. Once dissolved add the drained rind and veggies.Bring back to a boil then reduce to a simmer over medium low flame. Simmer covered for 25 minutes.
- Pack into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space. Wipe rims adjust lid placing screw bands on. Process in hot water bath for 10 minutes.
- Cool jars out of draft for 12 hours check for seals. label and store. Or give as gifts.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!