Chubby's White Pralines
- Ready In:
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- kosher salt, a pinch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (preferably Mexican vanilla)
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Arrange pecans on a baking sheet in a single layer and toast until golden brown and aromatic, 7-9 minutes; set aside.
- In a saucepan set over med-high heat, bring the sugar and milk to a boil; decrease the heat to medium and cook until the mixture reaches the soft ball stage (234° to 240° on a candy thermometer).
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the butter, salt, pecans, and vanilla.
- Beat the mixture for about 5 minutes with a wooden spoon, or until the mixture begins to stiffen.
- Quickly drop by tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper (if you aren't fast enough, the mixture will become too hard to scoop).
- Wrap individually in waxed paper, or store in an airtight container.
- *Variation-to make even whiter, omit the vanilla extract and drop in a halved vanilla bean with the sugar and milk; remove the bean as soon as the mixture comes to a boil.
- Use the pointed tip of a knife to dig out the vanilla seeds and add them back to the praline mixture.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!