Chopped Salad by Marconi's in Baltimore
- Ready In:
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce, torn
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- 1 large tomatoes (roma or plum tomato)
- 1 (2 ounce) can anchovies packed in oil, drained and chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (low-fat can be used)
- 1⁄4 cup sweet peas (fresh or frozen) (optional)
- Well chill fresh ingredients first, except for tomato.
- After chilling, mix lettuce through pepper ingredients in a large chilled salad bowl.
- Add mayonnaise into salad bowl and toss completely.
- Chop salad with two knifes thoroughly.
- Add peas. (if fresh - I toss peas in without blanching - frozen add as is. ).
- Plate on salad plates with crackers for scooping.
Join The Conversation
4 1/2 stars, but with your story it's 5. I liked this dinner salad a lot. I did not use the optional anchovies. I used Hellman's olive oil mayonnaise to be soy free, the optional frozen sweet peas from Green Giant, plus the rest of the ingredients. I would love to make this for DH to try. Made for, Veggie Swap 36 ~ July 2011.
Excellent. Classic flavor, simple. Just a nice salad. A couple of key notes for me. A ice cold salad bowl. Chop the lettuce well and use very chilled ingredients. Seed the tomatoes slightly and then chop so less watery. Use regular mayo for me, no low fat. Anchovies are a must, good fresh ground black pepper (I happen to use my 3 peppercorn brand which was very good with this) and peas. My only change was 3 eggs, I used one just as a garnish and I chopped up 2 celery rib leaves. I like the flavor of the leaves. Otherwise as is. Very good. Simple, but just that bit different. Thx
I tried this salad today, it was somewhat bland for my taste. It may have been the mayonnaise that I used. I thought that this salad needed some tang or zip for my taste preference. I made the salad using all of the ingredients except for the peas. Since I didn't dress the entire salad for one serving I added the remaining mayonnaise to a basic salad dressing that I had on hand and that made a big difference. I will probably make this recipe again but with some favor additions of my own. As one reviewer stated, I will also add more anchovies next time because for me they were the highlight of the salad.