Cholly's World -Famous Gingerbread Cake
photo by Baby Kato
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- In a 2-quart pan over high heat, bring 1 cup water to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in molasses and baking soda.
- After mixture stops foaming, stir in 1/2 cup cold water; let cool to room temperature, stirring often (about 10 minutes).
- (This can also be done easily in microwave).
- In a small bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In mixing bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter and brown sugar until well blended.
- Beat in eggs until blended.
- Reduce speed and add flour and molasses mixtures alternately until incorporated, then beat on high spped until well blended.
- Pour into a buttered and floured 9-inch square pan.
- Bake in a 325 oven until a toothpick inserted in center of thickest part comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Let cool on pan on a rack for at least an hour.
- Serving suggestion: Pour about 1/4 cup creme anglaise onto each plate.
- Cut cake into pieces and set them in sauce on plates.
- If desired, lightly sift unsweetened cocoa and/or powdered sugar over each plate and garnish with a mint sprig.
- Offer additional creme anglaise at table.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Wonderful cake. I could not find the recipe I used in the past, but I don't remember that one being as good as this one. I used white whole wheat flour and added an extra egg because the ones I had seemed a bit small. It made a great smell in the house and came out with a nice edge on top and moist on the inside. We have all had two pieces already! It's great with a glass of milk.
Amazing, simply amazing gingerbread cake. I made this lovely cake and shared it with my in-laws. They texted to say how wonderful it was. Truly an exceptional cake. The moist dense cake was so flavorful. I freshly ground all my spices for a lovely subtle flavor and added some finely chopped candied ginger. I used a 10" round glass pan to make this treat and it cooked for 20 minutes longer. Made for What's on the Menu? tag game 2020. Kudos on making it into my Best of Cookbook for 2020.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in the San Francisco area and love it here. I discovered Recipezaar (then Food.com..Genius Kitchen) in 2001 and have been so happy to have my favorite recipes stored safely here. I am mother to 7 and grandmother to 7. I love to knit, smock, sew, etc., but my favorite hobby of the moment is traditional rug hooking. This is a sample of what I do.? It's called "November".? I dyed most of the wool myself. It is made from wool flannel, cut into strips a little less than 1/4" and then worked into a linen backing. This is my 3rd rug.