Chocolatier Classic Chocolate Cake and Creamy Chocolate Frosting
photo by Realtor by day, Chef by night
- Ready In:
FOR THE CAKE
- 6 ounces dark chocolate, baking bar melted, cooled slightly
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
FOR THE FROSTING
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, baking bar broken into small pieces
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, then grease & flour two 9" round baking pans or one 13"x9" baking pan.
- FOR THE CAKE, in small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda & salt.
- In large mixer bowl, beat together sugar, butter & vanilla extract.
- Add eggs to butter mixture, & beat 1 minute.
- To the butter mixture, add melted, cooled chocolate, & beat.
- Alternately beat flour mixture & milk into butter mixture.
- Spoon & spread into prepared baking pan(s).
- Bake 25-30 minutes FOR THE TWO ROUND PANS, or 30-32 minutes FOR THE 13"x9" PAN, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- If using round pans, cool 20 minutes, then invert onto wire rack(s) to cool completely.
- FOR THE FROSTING, microwave butter & chocolate in small, uncovered, microwave-safe mixer bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 45 seconds.
- Stir, & if parts remain unmelted, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until smooth.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Beat 1 cup powdered sugar, vanilla & salt into chocolate mixture until creamy.
- Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar alternately with milk until smooth.
- Frost the cake before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Thanks for posting this! We LOVED it! I only used the cake part because I needed a great chocolate cake for my little girl's 6th birthday. She wanted a chocolate Little Mermaid cake. It turned out so light and fluffy plus it was very moist and delicious! What a great cake. I used semi-sweet chocolate because that's what I had on hand. It was just perfect. Thanks, Syd!
This cake is wonderful. Light, fluffy and chocolaty. It's fortunate that the batter made it into the oven as it was so delicious at this stage. Just like a chocolate mousse. Yumm! This cake was easy to prepare if melting the chocolate in the microwave. My 10 yo son declared it "The best cake EVER!" Thanks for the recipe. This was made for the Aust/NZ Recipe swap #25, Feb 2009.
I think it's the flavor of this cake that is really outstanding; it is just right. It didn't take long at all for my family and guests to make this cake disappear. I thought it would be a "darker" chocolate cake since we use the dark chocolate, but it really wasn't for me. I made a double layer cake and the frosting was "just" enough to frost the whole cake. So, if you like a lot of frosting, I suggest you make a little extra.
see 1 more reviews