Chocolate-Zucchini Snack Cake
Tasty and a great way to have your veggies with your chocolate! This was printed in a 1989 issue of Cooking Light.
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 egg whites or 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Combine first 12 ingredients in a large bowl; stir well.
- Pour batter into a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I made a full recipe and did not have any issues with it rising. It did turn out a bit drier than I prefer, but think I might have measured incorrectly as my did not pour into the pan. I had to massage it in; like a meatloaf. Regardless, it tasted good and will make a good breakfast cake! It is a great way to sneak something sweet in when watching calories!Reply
This recipe was a very lucky find today as I had a zucchini that I really need to use. It was a perfect solution. I made a 1/2 recipe (there are just the 2 of us and DH will NOT eat zucchini) and baked it in an 8x4 loaf pan. It didn't rise very much and I personally thought that another Tbsp of cocoa wouldn't have hurt it any, lol and I used a full tsp of cinnamon in the 1/2 recipe and SPlenda for the sugar. A very worthy use for zucchini. Made For Photo TagReply