Chocolate Topped Banana Cream Pie
photo by KateL
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 9 inches pastry shells, baked
- 4 (1 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, melted
- 2 -3 bananas, medium firm, sliced
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch & salt, then gradually add milk & cream, stirring until smooth.
- Cook & stir over medium-high heat until thickened & bubbly, about 2 minutes.
- While stirring the egg yolks, add a small amount of this hot mixture to the egg yolks & continue to stir to mix well, before returning the egg mixture to the saucepan.
- Bring to a gentle boil & cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, before removing from the heat & adding in the butter & vanilla while stirring to mix well.
- Pour half of this mixture into the pastry shell, then cover & refrigerate.
- Add the chocolate to the remaining custard, mixing well, then cover & refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Arrange the sliced bananas over the filling, then carefully spoon the chocolate custard over the bananas.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Wow, this was to die for! The chocolate pudding layer was like fudge, heavenly next to the layers of banana slices. I need to get a raised cover before I serve this again so my top isn't "marred". Well, DH can make this for my b-day or my funeral, whichever comes first. As you can see from my photo, two people ate far too much in one sitting. Boy, was this great! Made for Please Review My Recipe tag.