Chocolate Schnecke Pastry
This German dessert, named for its snail-like shape, is sure to be a favorite.
- Ready In:
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed according to package instructions
- 1⁄2 cup mini chocolate chip
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups shredded coconut
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla, and mix well.
- Add coconut and pecans and cook until thick.
- While the coconut pecan frosting cools, unfold the puff pastry dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- When partially cooled, spread the frosting evenly over the pastry, sprinkle with mini chocolate chips, and roll up into a log.
- Cut the log into 1/2 inch pieces and place on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until pastry is lightly browned. Allow to cool and serve warm.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Positives: These taste exactly like the ones at my favorite bakeries back in Israel! Yum!<br/><br/>Negatives: I ate too many and now I have a stomach ache.<br/>Notes: (1) I left out the coconut and the pecans (my favorite bakeries didn't use them) so I whipped the frosting for a couple minutes to help it thicken up. (2) It makes a little too much frosting (a lot of over-spillage while rolling) so you could probably cut the frosting ingredients by 20-30% and have just the right amount, and (3) "Makes 6 pastries" ? It (happily) made me 25!<br/>Thank you!!Reply