Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake
photo by Swirling F.
- Ready In:
- 1 (18 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2⁄3 cup peanut butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 8 ounces chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 2 Reese's Peanut Butter cups, chopped up
- Set out your cream cheese and butter to come to room temperature.
- Combine cake mix, water, eggs and oil.
- Beat with electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- Pour into 3 8-inch pans, or 2 9-inch pans, depending on how many layers you want to end up with.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until it's no longer jiggly in the middle.
- Let layers cool in pans for 15 minutes and then turn out onto a rack to finish cooling.
- To make the frosting: beat the cream cheese, butter, and peanut butter until fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, while continuing to beat the frosting until it's all incorporated. Try not to lick the beaters.
- Fill and frost the cake layers, and set the cake in the fridge to chill a little bit while you prepare the ganache coating.
- Microwave the chocolate chips and corn syrup for 30 seconds, stir, and then microwave another 30 seconds until it's all smooth and melty. Keep stirring; they'll melt easily. Avoid over-heating.
- Whisk in the half-and-half until it's all incorporated and the ganache is all smooth and shiny.
- While it's still warm, take the cake out of the fridge and slowly pour the ganache all over the cake, letting it drip down the sides.
- Chop up the candy and sprinkle on top of the cake.
- Chill for 30 minutes, uncovered, and then eat!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!