Chocolate Orange Loaf Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup (such as Lytle's) or 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 eggs
- 2 small oranges, zest of (1 tablespoon)
- 1 small orange, juice of (3 tablespoons)
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Line a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Grease sides of pan.
- In a large bowl, with electric mixer, beat the butter, syrup and sugar until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and cocoa powder.
- Beat 1 tablespoon of the dry ingredients into the syrup mixture.
- Beat in 1 egg.
- Add another couple of spoonfuls of dry ingredients.
- Beat in the second egg.
- Beat in remaining dry ingredients, and then add, while still beating, the orange zest.
- Gradually add the orange juice. (The batter may look slightly curdled.).
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes (edges should look dry and center of cake may have dipped slightly).
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Carefully remove from pan and cool completely.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>My name is Gina. I live in Indiana and am married to a wonderful guy. I have 3 children, 1 granddaughter and another grandbaby on the way. I love animals, especially dogs, spending time with my family, flower gardening and especially cooking! I have a large cookbook collection and am constantly trying out new recipes on my always-willing family.</p>