Chocolate Lover's Delight Cake (Taste of Home)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs, seperated
- 2 ounces German sweet chocolate, melted
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 cup baking cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup Creme de Cacao
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- Grease and flour two 9-in round cake pans; set aside. In large bowl, beat 1 cup sugar, buttermilk, oil, egg yolks, and melted chocolate till blended. Combine flour, 1/4 tsp salt, and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture till blended.
- In large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites till soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 T. at a time, on high till stiff peaks form. Fold into the batter.
- Transfer to pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream, powdered sugar, cocoa, extract, and remaining salt till stiff peaks form.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers; brush layers with cream de cacao. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with 1/2 cup frosting and sprinkle with 2 T. almonds. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake; sprinkle remaing almonds over the top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!