Chocolate Lovers Bundt Cake
photo by Dwynnie
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup baking cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream (8 oz container)
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup chopped almonds
- In large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one.
- Stir in extracts.
- Combine the flour, cocoa and baking soda in a small bowl, add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream.
- Beat just until combined, do not over mix.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into a well greased and floured 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake at 325 for 75-90 minutes or until cake tester inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for ten minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Run a metal spatula or butter knife around sides of pan to loosen cake first.
- Combine the chocolate chips, cream and butter in a saucepan.
- Cook; stir constantly over low heat until smooth.
- Cool slightly.
- Gradually whisk in confectioners sugar.
- Stir in extract.
- Drizzle over cake and sprinkle with almonds.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a great cake--though next time I might use half of the almond extract--the flavor was a little much for me. (I can't speak to the glaze as I made the cake for Valentine's and used a "pink" chocolate ganache with white chocolate drizzle instead!) I will definitely make this again! (Second time with just a hint less almond was perfect! Thank you for this fab recipe!)
I actually had to throw half of this cake away because my husband, who is a Marine and has to maintain excellent shape, could not stop eating it. I even tried hiding it and he found it. I'm talking he ate half this cake in an afternoon. I used a plain vanilla/powdered sugar drizzled icing over it. Excellent flavor, excellent texture.