Chocolate Fried Pies
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups biscuit mix
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- cooking oil (for frying)
- sifted powdered sugar
- For the filling: In a saucepan combine sugar, flour, and unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Stir in 1/2 cup milk and butter or margarine.
- Cook over medium heat till the mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir constantly.
- Stir in vanilla. Cool.
- For the dough: In a mixing bowl stir together the biscuit mix and 1/2 cup milk.
- On a well floured surface knead the dough 12 times.
- Roll the dough to 1/8inch thickness.
- Cut dough into twelve inch circles.
- Place 1 tablespoon filling in the center of each circle of dough.
- Brush the edge of the dough with water. Fold the dough over the filling; press the edges together with tines of a fork to seal.
- In a skillet heat 1 inch cooking oil to 375 .
- Fry the pastries for about 2 minutes, or until golden. Turn once.
- Drain on paper towel and sprinkle warm pastries with sifted powdered sugar.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
So, I read of vanilla, heat your milk on the side and scrape in a vanilla bean allow that to meld on low heat, you don’t want it to boil, just below a simmer for a few minutes. Also I stead of powdered sugar, brush on some homemade icing like the old hostess pies. I think I need to rewrite this whole recipe lol
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
After several floods to my basement, I am starting to input all of the many many recipes that I've been collecting for years. I didn't realize just how many I had saved up... must make note to self.. step away from the cookbooks!