Gooey Chocolate Crackle Cookies
This is the absolute favorite cookie in my house. I've been using this exact recipe for the past 6-8 years which originally came from a high school cafeteria cookbook. It was tough trying to get this recipe, then after I got it, it was for 350 servings ! It's now scaled down to 4 dozen, but they don't last long...maybe 350 cookies IS the way to go ! ETA: Reviewers have added an extra cup of flour to the mix with success. I still make them as originally posted.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup powdered baking cocoa, plus
- 2 tablespoons powdered baking cocoa (Hersheys brand)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Mix margarine and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add oil and vanilla, mix.
- Add eggs and mix.
- Add flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt, mixing all together.
- Let chill for a couple hours or overnight.
- Scoop dough into tablespoon balls using a scoop.
- Roll in powdered sugar.
- Place on greased pan.
- Bake at 350° for 11-12 minutes.
- Let cool on rack.
- You can make the cookies without letting the dough cool, it's just a bit sticky to work with.
- I use a #40 cookie scoop which is about the size of a tablespoon.
- I spray my pans for the first batch, but don't do it after that.
- No need to flatten down the cookie, it will spread as it bakes.
- If using a convection oven, set your temperature at 335° and bake for 10-12 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Fudge, chewy, moist... These cookies are excellent! I made similar recipes in the past but they weren't nearly as good as this recipe! The dough is very soft, even after chilling, but I scooped it up with a cookie scoop and rolled in a thick coating of powdered sugar. The cookies crackled beautifully and were a nice addition to the other cookies I made.
I recieved these from Kennasmommy in my oranment gift box swap. Our family really enjoyed these. I will be making them for my xmas exchange with our family. Thanks for a great recipe.**** Update 12/22/07 I wish I would of read the comments further down. My cookies spread out alot. Didn't look anything like what Kennasmommy sent me. But they do taste great. I will make again with the added extra flour. Thank you for a great recipe.