Chocolate-Covered Maraschino Cherries
I love chocolate covered cherries,and these are so easy to make.I make them every Christmas and Valentines Day
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 jar maraschino cherry, drained well
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 1⁄2 cups sifted powdered sugar (, may need more)
- 1 (12 ounce) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Drain cherries,place on paper towels and pat well.
- Set aside.
- Place sifted powdered sugar in bowl.
- Combine melted butter,evaporated milk vanilla,and salt.
- Pour over powdered sugar and mix well.
- May need to use hands to form a stiff,not sticky dough.
- Add more powdered sugar slowly,if need to form dough.
- Now pinch of a small amount,flatten into a disc and form around each cherry.
- Pinch off any excess dough.
- Place cherry on wax paper lined cookie sheets and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Melt chocolate chips and shortening over boiling water in double boiler.
- Dip cherries in chocolate,scraping off excess.
- Refrigerate until chocolate is hard.
- (I cheat sometimes and just use the chocolate flavored Almond Bark or candy coating).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I ended up having at least half of the fondant left over so I would suggest either making a half recipe of the fondant or buying 2 jars of maraschino cherries. I used Hershey's Special Dark chips and enough shortening to get the proper dipping consistency. Be sure to cover up the entire cherry in chocolate otherwise, when they sit, the cherry juice starts to seep through the uncovered area. I fixed that by doing a touch up with remelted chocolate.