Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Muffins
Got this from the Dannon website. Resist the temptation to devour these the first day.. they get better with age (tightly sealed, of course). Topping is a bit tangy, can definitely tell it is yogurt and not cheesecake... I am open to suggestions on how to doctor it up! More sugar maybe, or some vanilla yogurt?
- Ready In:
- 12hrs 25mins
- 2 1⁄4 cups plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup mini chocolate chip
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- nonstick cooking spray
- Prepare yogurt cheese: Spoon 1 1/2 cups yogurt into a strainer or sieve lined with cheesecloth or coffee filter. Place a bowl under strainer to catch liquid (whey). Cover and refrigerate 12 hours. Discard liquid.
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- Prepare topping: In medium bowl, whisk together yogurt cheese, confectioner's sugar and 1 egg until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Set aside.
- In large bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, cocoa and coffee granules. In a separate medium bowl, combine remaining 3/4 cup yogurt, oil, remaining egg and vanilla. Mix well. Pour over dry ingredients and mix on low speed in electric mixer until just combined or ingredients are moistened.
- Spray 12-cup muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or line with foil muffin cups. Spoon batter evenly into muffin cups. Make a slight indentation in each. Spoon yogurt mixture over batter, dividing evenly (It makes a tad too much topping -- I just divided it as well as I could and licked/pitched the rest :)).
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on rack for 5 minutes, then remove from tins to completely cool.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I LOVE these cupcakes! I put them in the refrigerator which really gave the cheesecake great texture. They melt in your mouth. I am making some more today! The Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Muffins are a great alternative to high fat, high calorie desserts. I have already suggested the recipe to friends.Reply
These aren't bad, but they kind of taste "healthy" if you know what I mean. The topping is tangy, like plain yogurt, even though I add 2/3 cup powdered sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla. I think I'll try vanilla yogurt next time and see how it does. I don't taste the espresso powder at all and will either double it next time or omit it all together. I also found these a little dry so will likely add another egg and a little more oil. This is an interesting cupcake and I plan to make it again and see if I can get it to work better. I'll update my review thenReply