Chocolate Chip Cake With Chocolate Frosting
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups mini chocolate chips
- 2 cups butter, at room temperature
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- additional mini chocolate chip (optional)
- 60 Hershey chocolate kisses, unwrapped (Hershey's Kisses and Hugs)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter and flour 2 (9 inch) round cake pans.
- Mix 2 1/4 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Toss 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips with remaining 2 T flour; reserve.
- In bowl on medium-high speed, beat 1 cup butter and sugar until fluffy, 2 minutes.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Beat in sour cream and vanilla until combined.
- Alternately beat in flour mixture with milk.
- Stir in reserved flour-chocolate chips mixture.
- Divide evenly between pans.
- Bake 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Transfer from pans to racks.
- Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in microwave-safe bowl, microwave remaining 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips on high, stirring often, until melted, about 1 minute.
- Stir until smooth.
- Cool to room temperature, 10 minutes.
- On medium, beat remaining 1 cup butter until fluffy; beat in melted chocolate, then gradually beat in confectioners' sugar, until fluffy.
- Place one cake layer on serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting.
- Top with remaining cake layer.
- Spread cake top and side with remaining frosting.
- If desired, press additional chocolate chips along bottom edge of cake.
- Cover top with Kisses and Hugs candies.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made this for a 1-year old's first birthday. Super easy to make and unbelievably delicious. The cake was light and airy yet dense. The only thing I changed was I added 1/4 chocolate chips but it really wasn't necessary. I also didn't use chocolate frosting. Just homemade vanilla frosting. Thanks for sharing! I'm sure I'll make again and again.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I want to thank all of you who review the recipes I post - good or bad. It's always good to get feedback and helpful tips and I really appreciate them all! I try to send a note when someone reviews one of my recipes, but I don't always get the chance. Please know that I really enjoy reading the reviews. I also love all the photos everyone posts, too! Thanks so much. Happy Cooking!