Chocolate Cherry Chip Red Velvet Cake
photo by Greggy
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
Red Velvet Cake
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup non-fat powdered milk
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups cherry juice
- 1 1⁄4 cups cherries, chopped (use 1/4 cup of this for the batter, the rest is for assembling the cake)
- 2 cups milk chocolate pieces, and shavings (use 1 cup of this for the batter, the rest is for assembling the cake) or 2 cups dark chocolate, chunks and shavings
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pink himalayan sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons no-taste red food coloring
- 3 eggs
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces by liquid measure egg whites . about 4-5 large eggs (I recommend using REAL eggs, avoid carton egg whites)
- 2 cups sugar (granulated, avoid powdered sugar)
- 3 cups unsalted butter (room temperature and YES, unsalted makes a difference)
- 1⁄2 salt
- 3 -4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cream cheese extract (you can find this at your local baking aisle of your craft or baking supply store)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
For the Cake:
- 1. Mix dry ingredients in a Kitchen Aid mixer with a paddle attachment, except the cherries and chocolate.
- 2. Add cherry juice, eggs, veggie oil, vanilla, no-taste food coloring and mix until incorporated. Scrape bowl in between mixing.
- 3. Add chopped cherries and chocolate.
- 4. Bake at 350 F, until toothpick comes out clean and has a bouncy spring when pressed in the middle of the cake.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1. Place sterilized kitchen aid bowl (just make sure it's super clean and dry) with whites unto a pan with water, barely simmering (a.ka. double boiler).
- 2. Heat to 160 F, constantly stirring. Be sure to watch it and keep stirring or else it'll turn into an omelette.
- 3. Whip on stand mixer or hand mixer until cool. Place in refrigerator or freezer if necessary, after reaching a medium peak. You could totally make this ahead of time and place it in the fridge or freezer and whip until ready.
- 4. Place back on whip and gradually add butter, one stick at a time. Make sure the meringue is cooled down or at least room temperature, prior to adding it to the mixture or else it will be a soupy mess. The mixture should separate at first (don't be alarmed and freak out). Be patient and keep mixing; it'll come back together. Add softened cream cheese and cream cheese extract. Mix until smooth and well incorporated.
For the Cake Assembly:
- 1. Add 1 tbsp of sugar and a pinch of salt to your chopped cherries in a small bowl, mix and set aside.
- 2. With the first layer of cake, top with a light drizzle of the juice from the cherries unto the cake.
- 3. Top with a layer of cream cheese frosting, making a small well in the center with your spatula or create a barrier/dam with a piping filled with frosting. Fill with a modest amount of chopped cherries.
- 4. Apply your next layer of cake and alternate with chocolate and cherries, until you get to your desired cake height.
- 5. Complete the cake by frosting it completely around the top and sides. You can also do a "naked cake" with this!
- 6. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Allow the cake to get to room temperature before serving. Enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!