Chocolate Chai Latte Cookies
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) butter recipe chocolate cake mix
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves (see note below)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk (I use skim)
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips (can use semisweet if you prefer)
- 1⁄2 cup white chocolate chips (see note below)
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 -5 teaspoons milk (can use water instead)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients in the cookie list except for the chips. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and well mixed.
- Stir in chips.
- Shape dough into 3/4 inch balls (I use a small cookie scoop). Place about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350F for about 9 to 11 minutes, or until tops are set (slight underbaking will provide more fudgy chewy cookies).
- Cool cookies on baking sheet for about 2 minutes. Remove cookies to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- While cookies are cooling, combine the dry drizzle ingredients in a small bowl. Add milk or water gradually, mixing well between additions, until you achieve the consistency you like.
- Drizzle over cooled cookies. Allow drizzled cookies to dry fully before packing cookies for storage or transport.
- NOTE: In place of the spices in the cookies, you can use 3 tbs. of instant chai latte mix (any flavor).
- NOTE: You can substitute 1 1/2 cups white chocolate/semisweet swirled chips for the separate types, if you prefer.
Join The Conversation
Yum, these are so delicious! I absolutely loved these. I am a huge fan of the chocolate chai combo, so I was really excited to try these. That said, I needed to make them gluten free, which worked out wonderfully. A few notes on what I did in case any other gf people also love chocolate chai :) I used a gluten free chocolate cake mix (slight difference in size - 15 oz - but kept the rest of the ingredients the same anyway). I baked each batch for 11 minutes on my silpat mat and let them rest for a few minutes on the cookie sheet before moving to a cooling rack. This created cookies with a gorgeous crispy outside and soft delicious inside. I used the chai ingredients listed rather than a premade mix and the separate white and semisweet chocolate chips, since I already had them on hand. I couldn't resist trying one warm out of the oven - soooo good, but plenty sweet so I skipped the drizzle. Just loved these! Thanks so much for sharing! ZWT8
These are a great bursting with flavor cookie that are very simple to make especially if using a stand mixer. I used your "note" and used the swirled chips and used the individual spices as listed. They are pretty sweet on their own so I did skip on the drizzle of icing and that made it easier to pack in lunches too. I did not have any issues with the cookies being flat like the one reviewer - I really think it is based on the cake mix you use. Some of the cake mix recipes you can use the cheaper mixes but others you can't and with this asking for a butter based cake mix I think you need a good mix. Found and made during ZWT8.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/beartag_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/adopted_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/ZWT2.gif alt=/ /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%203/ZWT3-Participation.gif alt=/ /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/lauralie41/cookbookswapspring08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%204/ZWTAB-tg.gif alt=/ /><img src=http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn175/allisonslattery/Banner.gif alt=/ /><img src=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/lauralie41/cookbookswapspring08-2.jpg alt=/ /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PACfall08partic.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg alt=/ /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg alt=/ /><img src=http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt137/cathrineq/ZWT-TM1.jpg alt=/ /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif alt=/ /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg alt=/ /></p> 8727310"